Thursday, July 23, 2009

Confessions of an OCD Gal

TambreyHave you ever woke up with a to-do list longer that your arm? I have got to pray about this, folks! I will start a list and if it isn't checked off and complete by the end of the day I crumble. I know this sounds so OCD. Well, I am OCD! I guess being a teacher and always following a schedule mapped out by 30 minute incraments really doesn't help. This morning in my quiet time God really laid upon my heart the questions, "WHY"? It was like He had me question "why are you doing this, why right now"? I had to take some inventory in my heart and go thru my "to-do" list and really question if the task was worth the time. I always try to balance my life. I try to equally give time to all. Some get short-changed. So this is my inventory:

1) Quiet time w/ God
2)Prayer confession, interceding
3)Encouraging friends/family
4) Being a supportive and loving wife to Benny, putting him over myself
5) Being the best mom I can be and teaching my kids right/wrong
6) Exercise/goal setting
7)Being a good daughter, friend, etc
8) Serving God in my church
9) Keeping my meals well-planned
10) House in order/cleaning chores
11) Reading/researching on ways to help my clients achieve goals

Okay, this is not in any order. That is the problem! Sometimes they all get shuffled around or more time is spent in one area than the next. So God gave me an "ouchy" when He revealed this lst to me IN ORDER. So today I threw out the list!! Yes, it is good to try and organize your day and tasks at hand. But if I don't start my day focused on God and the glory of my salvation, than it is worthless!!

So this girl is going to take today one step at a time! I am not going to beat myself up if it all doesn't get done. I am going to allow God to direct my path! Praise Jesus that we serve a God who never gives up on us!!
P.S. Please comment and tell me if you ever feel like I do about life's demands

2 comments:

the Fosters said...

I can't believe how busy summers can be when you only have 2 kids under 4 and neither is involved in anything yet. It is crazy! I definitely feel overwhelmed. I have just had to say no to things and sometime we just stay home on my days off and not do anything. It gives the kids time to rest and relax instead of just going all the time.
I do know that prayer and quiet times help. I haven't been as good with the quiet times lately, and I can really tell.
Your list seems so wonderful and geniune. You really want to use your gifts and time for the Lord, but sometimes He just wants us to slow down and listen to Him.

Beth Ann said...

Just so you know--you are not alone! I myself think I have OCD tendancies as well, and I like a schedule/list. It seems like my to do list is ever growing and I'm often times I make myself so busy that I never really slow down to be still and look/listen for God's plan for me. Just know I think we are all works in progress~thanks for sharing!